Our vision at Tividale is that the teaching of history gives pupils an understanding of the past through learning about human achievements and experiences.
Through their work in history, we will investigate sources such as pictures, stories, writing and artefacts to ask and answer questions about the past and how these impact the world we live in today. We will examine the children's own personal history, and develop their sense of chronology throughout the study of topics through Key Stages 1 and 2. We aim to give our children a history curriculum which enables them to become confident, creative and independent learners. Our history curriculum will equip the children to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments and develop perspective and judgment. We seek to broaden children's real-life experiences both inside and outside of school through educational visits, visitors, experimentation, exploration and discovery. We believe that within history lessons, our children acquire a range of knowledge and skills, which they can then apply to other subjects and in a variety of situations.
To be Historians we believe pupils should;
- Have an interest in the past, and develop an understanding that enables them to enjoy all that history has to offer.
- Know about significant events in British history, and to appreciate how things have changed over time.
- Have an excellent sense of chronology.
- To know and understand how the British system of democratic government has developed and, in so doing, contributing to their citizenship education.
- Understand how Britain is part of a wider European culture, and to study some aspects of European history.
- Have knowledge and understanding of historical development in the wider world.
- Understand society and their place within it, so that they develop a sense of their cultural heritage.
- Develop the skills of enquiry, investigation, analysis, evaluation and presentation.
In the EYFS History is not taught as a specific subject but is a key part of the Knowledge and Understanding of the World area of the curriculum. It is also integral to many areas of daily exploration, learning and play.
|History Resources||Examples of History work|